Schubas Tavern - Chicago
This brick and masonry neo-Gothic tavern was built in 1903 by Schlitz Brewery. Chris and Michael Schuba bought the building in 1988, and undertook extensive renovation including restoring the 30-foot Brunswick mahogany bar, tin ceilings and walnut wainscotting in the bar room, and a full makeover of the back music hall where today Schubas presents a diverse line-up of live music seven nights a week.
The adjoining Harmony Grill specializes in regional American cuisine, made from scratch daily with local and regional produce. Daily specials include grass-fed beef from Tallgrass Beef, organic and grass-fed dairy from Trader's Point Creamery in Zionsville, Ind., and produce from farms throughout the Midwest.